The Temple of Goddess Spirituality Dedicated to Sekhmet was built in 1993 as the fulfillment of the promise that Genevieve Vaughan made to Sekhmet in 1965 when she asked Her to bless her with children. The Temple is a straw-bale structure covered in stucco. The Temple houses a statue of Sekhmet facing the Nevada Test Site. Across from Her is the statue of Madre del Mundo, originally placed at the Nevada test site in 1987. Both statues were made by Marsha Gomez. Smaller statues of goddesses of many cultures adorn the walls.
The Temple sits fifteen miles east of the Nevada Test Site, three miles west of Creech Air Force Base and about eight miles from two prison facilities. The Temple is a force of peace in the midst of hostility.
All the land where the Nevada Test Site sprawls once belonged to the Western Shoshone. The U.S. government is in violation of the Ruby Valley Treaty, signed in 1863, which declares this land to belong to the Western Shoshone. In recognition of their rights, Genevieve Vaughan ceded the land surrounding the Temple to the Western Shoshone in 1995.
The Temple of Goddess Spirituality Dedicated to Sekhmet was founded on the belief that mothering and women’s values of care are the basic human values.
Because we believe that women are the spiritual leaders in the promotion of these matricentric values and because we want to promote and support women in spiritual leadership roles, all group rituals held on the Temple grounds are led by women and the Temple Fire is tended by women.
The Temple was built to honor Sekhmet, and she shares her space with other manifestations of the Divine Feminine. During ceremony, only the Divine Feminine is honored.
The Temple serves the community as a place for centering and meditation. The Temple and grounds are a woman-based eco-spiritual refuge. The Wheel of the Year and Moons celebrations are open to all. For more information and schedule, please see: www.sekhmettemple.com.